It’s that time of the year in world football. The performances of players over the year will be judged and the best ones will win awards. One of such awards is the Ballon d’Or.
This year’s edition of the award is the 53rd edition, and will take place in France. It’s been such an eventful year in the world of football. From the World Cup to Champions League and all, it can be pretty tough to predict who will win one award or the other.
Speaking of awards, 30 players were nominated to win the Ballon d’Or this year. With 8 players, Real Madrid has the most representatives on a list that includes the likes of:
- Sergio Aguero (Argentina/Manchester City)
- Alisson Becker (Brazil/Liverpool)
- Gareth Bale (Wales/Real Madrid)
- Karim Benzema (France/Real Madrid)
- Edinson Cavani (Uruguay/Paris Saint-Germain)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Juventus)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium/Manchester City)
- Roberto Firmino (Brazil/Liverpool)
- Thibaut Courtois (Belgium/Real Madrid)
- Diego Godin (Uruguay/Atletico Madrid)
- Antoine Griezmann (France/Atletico Madrid)
- Eden Hazard (Belgium/Chelsea)
- Isco (Spain/Real Madrid)
- Harry Kane (England/Tottenham)
- N’Golo Kante (France/Chelsea),
- Hugo Lloris (France/Tottenham)
- Mario Mandzukic (Croatia/Juventus)
- Sadio Mane (Senegal/Liverpool)
- Marcelo (Brazil/Real Madrid)
- Kylian Mbappe (France/Paris St Germain)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina/Barcelona)
- Luka Modric (Croatia/Real Madrid)
- Neymar (Brazil/Paris St Germain)
- Jan Oblak (Slovenia/Atletico Madrid)
- Paul Pogba (France/Manchester United)
- Ivan Rakitic (Croatia/Barcelona)
- Sergio Ramos (Spain/Real Madrid)
- Mohamed Salah (Egypt/Liverpool)
- Luis Suarez (Uruguay/Barcelona)
- Raphael Varane (France/Real Madrid)
While we’re anticipating the final shortlist of 3 players, the discussion has been rife. A lot of players have had their say on whom they think should win the award this year. Alongside the comments, the rumors have also been making the rounds.
According to reports, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi will miss out on the final three of a Ballon d’Or award for the first time in a decade. You will recall that both players have dominated this award for 10 years now. The last player to win this award outside this duo was Kaka in 2007.
Names like Kylian Mbappe, Raphael Varane and Luka Modric have been reported as those that will make the final shortlist instead. It remains to be seen how the awards will play out. We have to wait till 3rd of December to find out who will win the 2018 Ballon d’Or award.
But what do you think?
Will the award winner be one of the goalkeepers? Will the World Cup be a criteria used to rate some players over the others? Raphael Varane won both the UEFA Champions League and the FIFA World Cup. Is he favorite to win this award? Which league do you think will produce the next Ballon d’Or winner?
Which player do you think will be rated the best men’s football player in the world via this French Football award? Join in the conversation by leaving us your comments and sharing your thoughts with us.
Image credit: goal.com