It’s been an eventful 2018, to say the least. Across all sports, the year served its best for the fans. There were surprising results, shocking ones too. As we head into 2019, all of that has quickly become history as fans now anticipate all that the new year is bringing along with it.
In retrospect, it’s that time when we look back on the year and think of all that happened in it. All the drama that happened during the year couldn’t have happened without the sportsmen and sportswomen who were involved.
2018 may well be long gone. But who was your best sportsman/sportswoman of the year?
- Zinedine Zidane: For leading Real Madrid to Champions League glory for a third time in a row
- Lewis Hamilton: For completely dominating the 2018 F1 season
- Didier Deschamps: For turning France’s superstars into a team that conquered the world
- Steph Curry: For winning yet another NBA final
- Luka Modric: For scooping all the awards… and breaking the Ronaldo-Messi dominance
- Novak Djokovic: For winning two of the four Grand Slam titles of the year
- Antoine Griezmann: A World Cup trophy and a Europa League trophy winner
- Tiger Woods: For finally winning a golf title after the long wait
- Kylian Mbappe: The latest teenager to re-write football history after Pele
- Doug Pederson: For delivering the Philadelphia Eagles their first Super Bowl win in franchise history
- Pep Guardiola: For setting up a side that won 2 trophies in the calendar year
- Eliud Kipchoge: For smashing the marathon world record by finishing in a time of two hours one minute 39 seconds in Berlin
- Benjamin Mendy: Only a few players were part of a team that won 3 trophies this year
- Tyson Fury: For the miraculous comeback not just from being over-weight but from getting knocked down by Deontay Wilder
Are you looking for a bookie with great odds and a super easy-to-use platform? Think of NairaBET.
Click here to open your betting account and start earning money.
- Naomi Osaka: It’s not every year you see a 21-year old defeat Serena Williams in the U.S Open final
- Ada Hegerberg: For being the first female footballer to be awarded a Ballon d’Or award
- Breanna Stewart: For being voted the MVP of the 2018 WNBA Finals
- Marta: What’s a football award these days without the Brazilian getting either nominated or winning it?
- Thembi Kgatlana: For being the 2018 AWCON MVP and scoring 5 goals in the tournament
- Caroline Wozniacki: Winning a Grand Slam title is no joke
- Serena Williams: For coming back to compete again and give the girls a run for their money
- Caster Semenya: This list cannot be complete without the queen of the 800 meters
By all means, this is not a comprehensive list. We must have missed out on some names. Nevertheless, which of these stars was your best in 2018? Leave us your comments and share your thoughts with us.