It’s not necessarily the most keenly contested football league in Europe. The Premier League and the La Liga this season have been more competitive than the Serie A.
But Cristiano Ronaldo’s move to Juventus shed more light on the league. And, after 17 games, has strengthened Old Lady’s stranglehold on the league title. They currently lead their closest challenger, Napoli, by 8 points. Inter Milan, in third position, trail the current league champions by a whopping 16 points!
And the league has not even reached the half-way mark yet. Games against Inter, Torino and AS Roma, all together, were supposed to make a tough run for Juventus. But 1-0 wins in those three games has seen Allegri’s side make the most of a difficult run.
Those who are saying the league is over may therefore have a valid point.
But there’s still the race for UCL spots, qualification for Europe and the fight to avoid relegation. And MatchDay 18 on Boxing Day will see 10 Serie A games played. These games are:
- Frosinone vs. AC Milan: Relegation battlers host a side that is looking to break into the top four for the first time in quite a while. Only two of their last 10 games (5 each for both sides) have ended with over 2,5 goals.
- Sampdoria vs. Chievo: At home is a side aiming for a six-match unbeaten streak. The visitors have yet to win a Serie A game this season.
Can Sampdoria win the first half?
Click here to predict and win.
- Atalanta vs. Juventus: Two of the last 5 meetings between both sides at Atalanta has seen 2:2 draws. The last time Atalanta defeated Juve was in 2002.
- Bologna vs. Lazio: SS Lazio remain undefeated against Bologna since 2012. But a run of just one win in 6 games sees the Roman side in 4th
- Cagliari vs. Genoa: Cagliari has lost just one game at home this season. But they’re just a few points above the relegation waters. There has been no 0-0 draw between both sides in the last 22 top-flight meetings
Click here to back yourself and win big
- Fiorentina vs. Parma: Both teams, although 5 places apart on the log, are separated by just 3 points. Three of Fiorentina’s last four league games produced over 2,5 goals. Three of Parma’s last four games produced under 2,5 goals.
- Spal vs. Udinese: Spal is currently on a eight-game winless league run. Udinese is without a victory in their last 5 Serie A away matches.
- Torino vs. Empoli: Totino has only won once in their last 10 head-to-head meetings with Empoli. And that win came in 2006.
- AS Roma vs. Sassuolo: It’s tenth versus eight in this Serie A fixture. The Romans have scored at least twice in seven of their last eight home matches.
- Inter vs. Napoli: The biggest game of the weekend sees third place Inter welcome second-place Napoli. Inter Milan is spurred on with their run of six consecutive home league wins. Carlo Ancelotti’s men are currently on a ten-match unbeaten run.
Which of these teams are you backing this holiday season? Leave us your comments and share your thoughts with us.