For the first time in over a decade, four English teams have qualified for the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League.
This feat brings backs the memories of the days when men were still boys, the days when England dominated Europe.
The 2009 UCL season will forever remain one to remember for English football. It was an era for English football teams. It was an era when English teams were defeating the likes of Inter Milan, Juventus, AS Roma and Real Madrid.
Oh! The fear of English teams then was the beginning of wisdom in Europe.
And it seems that era has arrived yet again.
On Friday, the draws for the UCL quarter-final will be made. And four English teams, alongside Porto, Barcelona, Ajax and Juventus will be drawn against each other.
What kind of fixtures will your draws produce?
Will the English teams face each other?
Leave us your predictions in the comments.
It will be an open draw, which means any team can play against any other team, regardless of their country. This means all four English clubs can be drawn against each other in the quarterfinal.
In the same vein, all four English sides may as well avoid each other in Friday’s UCL quarterfinal draws.
Let’s compare and contrast here.
When this happened in 2009, this is what the quarterfinal draws looked like:
- Villarreal vs. Arsenal
- Manchester United vs. Porto
- Liverpool vs. Chelsea
- Barcelona vs. Bayern Munich
Click here to predict and win.
From the draws, above, we can see that
- Two English teams eventually got drawn against each other
- One English team got to play a Spanish opposition
- Another English side got to play against a Portuguese opposition
Football fans are anticipating the draws already. There are so many questions surrounding this year’s draws for the UCL quarterfinals.
- Will there be a Manchester derby in the Champions League?
- Which team is lucky (or unlucky?) enough to play against Barcelona?
- Will all English teams be paired with one another?
- Ajax and Porto look like easy teams. Will any of the English sides get to play against them?
- Assuming you were UEFA and you were to make Friday’s draws, how would you make your draw for the quarter-final round of the Champions League?
Overall, if you were to predict the UCL quarter-final draws holding this Friday, which teams would you pit against each other?
Join the conversation and share your quarter-final draws predictions with us in the comments.