For all the noise about domestic action in Europe’s top five football leagues in recent time, the biggest of them all is about to take center stage this week. The UEFA Champions League is back with a bang!
The boys have been separated from the men. It’s the knockout season and it’s time to either go big or go home. Although all games will be played over two legs – save for the final – it will be all about survival of the fittest.
Starting this week, the race for European football’s most coveted prize will begin again after the long break. And here’s a look at the games to be played:
- Juventus vs. Tottenham
- Basel vs. Manchester City
- Porto vs. Liverpool
- Real Madrid vs. PSG
- Bayern Munich vs. Besiktas
- Chelsea vs. Barcelona
- Sevilla vs. Manchester United
- Shakhtar Donetsk vs. AS Roma
So which of these teams will you put your money on? Here are some stats to help you answer that question:
- Throughout the group stages, only a couple of teams qualified for the knockout stages without tasting defeat. Those teams are Tottenham Hotspur, Besiktas, Liverpool, and Barcelona.
- In the group stages of the competition, PSG scored the highest number of goals (25), followed by Liverpool’s 23 goals and Real Madrid’s 17 goals.
- After six games played in the group stage, Barcelona conceded the least amount of goals (1). This is closely followed by Manchester United’s 3 goals conceded then Tottenham and PSG’s 4 goals conceded.
- All the table toppers in Europe’s top five leagues – except Napoli – will be in action in the round of 16. Adding the Champions League games to their fixture schedule means more games, more fatigue and, a longer injury list, all of which may affect the overall play of the team.
Champions League football is back. Your mid-weeks don’t have to be boring and long again. You can enjoy all football action from the UCL and also make all the money you want. As you look forward to the upcoming fixtures, which game will you be putting your money on?
Leave us a comment and let us know what you think.