Amidst all the FIFA World Cup noise, all is set for the third Grand Slam of the year to begin.
The 132nd edition of the tennis competition features the biggest names in the world of tennis and for weeks, ladies and gentlemen (both in the singles’ and doubles’ categories) will go head to head for a chance to lift the trophies.
As the competition begins on Monday at The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, what’s there to know about this year’s edition of the Grand Slam event?
With the tournament set to start next week, players (both in the ATP and WTA categories) have been seeded, with each player knowing who they will be at least facing in their opening games.
In the Men’s category, Roger Federer is top seed, with Rafael Nadal and Marin Cilic seeded 2nd and 3rd. The young German, Alexander Zverev is seeded 4th, with Novak Djokovic seeded 12th, Nick Kyrgios in 16th place, British No. 1, Kyle Edmund in 22nd place and Andy Murray, a three-time Grand Slam champion who is returning from a hip injury and sits outside the top 32 in the rankings is unseeded.
In the Women’s category, Simona Halep is top seed. Caroline Wozniacki and Garbine Muguruza have been seeded 2nd and 3rd respectively. 2018 French Open finalist, Sloane Stephens has been seeded 4th, Venus Williams 9th, Maria Sharapova 24th, and Serena Williams 25th – a move which has left 32nd ranked Dominika Cibulkova, whose spot was taken by Serena, upset.
The Games to Look Forward To
Of the two weeks of tennis action that we’re about to enjoy, there are some already stand-out games that you can look forward to – and bet on also. All things being equal, the further we go in the competition, the more exciting the fixtures will be.
In the Men’s Singles,
- Stan Wawrinka vs. Grigor Dimitrov
- Roger Federer vs. Dusan Lajovic
- Gael Monfils vs. Richard Gasquet
In the Women’s Singles,
- Caroline Garcia vs. Belinda Bencic
- Maria Sharapova vs. Maria Sakkari
- Serena Williams’ first two games
Names to Watch Out For
Being a Grand Slam tournament, there are a lot of big names that will be going against each other for glory of being a Grand Slam winner. But no thanks to how some of these players either play or how they’ve performed over time, here’s a list of players to watch out for:
- Roger Federer: Champion of the 2017 Wimbledon Gentlemen’s Singles event
- Marin Cilic: Lost out to Federer in the 2017 Wimbledon final
- Garbine Muguruza: Champion of the 2017 Wimbledon Ladies’ Singles event
- Venus Williams: Finalist, 2017 Wimbledon
- Alexander Zverev: The young German making waves in recent times
- Serena Williams: The queen trying to take back her throne after her absence from the game.
Which of your favorite tennis star are you backing in this tournament? Leave us a comment and share your thoughts with us.Tags: Wimbledon 2018